Antimicrobial Stewardship Resources
The continuing emergence of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and multi-drug resistant bacterial infections are numerous and affect animals and humans alike. Treating these infections can be time consuming, costly for clients, and may be impossible in some cases, ultimately leading to euthanasia. It is critical for the safety of patients, veterinary personnel and clients to prevent and reduce AMR in veterinary patients and facilities.
Antimicrobial stewardship refers to “the multifaceted approaches required to sustain the efficacy of antimicrobials and minimize the emergence of AMR.” (JS Weese 2013). Infection prevention and control also plays a critical role in any such program. The OAHN companion animal network has also developed a series of AM stewardship infographics available on our network homepage (OAHN login required). Below is a list of helpful resources for educating veterinary staff about AM stewardship, as well as developing and sustaining a clinic AM stewardship program (ASP).
OAHN antimicrobial stewardship resources:
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Best Practices for Small Animal Veterinary Clinics (2020)
- OAHN antimicrobial stewardship infographics(OAHN login required)
Veterinary antimicrobial stewardship resources:
- Handbook of Antimicrobial Stewardship in Companion Animal Veterinary Settings, 1st ed. – University of Minnesota, 2020.
- Veterinary AM stewardship resources – American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Open Stewardship project – University of Guelph (customized feedback & benchmarking)
- Antimicrobial stewardship resources – College of Veterinarians of Ontario
Veterinary antimicrobial use guidelines:
- CVMA: Guidelines for veterinary antimicrobial use
- ISCAID: Guidelines for the diagnosis and antimicrobial therapy of canine superficial bacterial folliculitis (Hillier et al. Vet Dermatol 2014)
- ISCAID: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of bacterial urinary tract infections in dogs and cats (Weese et al. Vet J 2019)
- ISCAID: Antimicrobial use guidelines for treatment of respiratory tract disease in dogs and cats (Lappin et al. J Vet Intern Med 2017)
Additional veterinary resources and statements:
- ACVIM: Consensus statement on therapeutic antimicrobial use in animals and antimicrobial resistance (Weese et al. J Vet Intern Med 2015)
- AAFP/AAHA: Basic Guidelines for Judicious Therapeutic Use of Antimicrobials (2014)
- OVMA: Farmed Animal Antimicrobial Stewardship initiative
Related public health resources:
- AM Resistance Dashboard (public health data)– British Columbia Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC)